Subject: writing to sector 0.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/1999 17:25:29
With the new pmax bootblocks, you need to explicitly enable writing to
the label area of the disk with "disklabel -W" before using installboot
to install the blocks.  This is because the pmax MD rz driver doesn't
have the check for (part != RAW_PART) that most other drivers seem to
have.  I'll change the pmax driver to add this check as well (since
we'll hopefully be moving to the MI SCSI driver soon anyway), but I'm
wondering what the point is of only checking for overwriting the label
on partitions that start at the start of the disk that _isn't_ the raw
partition?

For the wd driver, there was the following commit to remove the bounds
check:

	revision 1.138
	date: 1995/04/15 05:02:56;  author: mycroft;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
	Don't boundary check I/O to the `raw' partition.

I suspect without looking that the other drivers have something
similar...

Simon.