Subject: Re: pmax default kernel name [was Re: CVS commit: syssrc]
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/1999 16:11:00
In message <199911272356.KAA06306@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
Simon Burge writes:

>Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
>> [[ "netbsd.pmax" as the first default kernel to be booted ]]
>>
>> The Alpha port looks for kernels in the following order:
>>
>> 	[[ deleted ]]
>>
>> No "netbsd.alpha".  It seems that not only are you slowing down the
>> common case of booting "netbsd" on a normal system, but you're adding
>> noise to the process, as well ("Can't open netbsd.pmax...", etc.)

[...]

On a 4100, or on Alphastation (300/266, 500/500, 600au) the SRM syntax
for "boot" wasn't all that dissimilar from a TC pmax.
Or a cvax, for that matter :).

>> Why be inconsistent with existing practice?
>
>I don't believe it's inconsistent with existing _pmax_ practice...

What will a multboot CD look like?  Will we have N kernels on the
root, each with a ramdisk image stuffed in its belly?  If that's the
plan, then we *cant* do what Jason wants.  if we go lookign for
"/netbsd" in the multiboot CD, we can't tell if it's a kernel for
Alpha, or i386, or sparc, or sun3, or whatever.

netbsd.{MACHINE} could go at the end of the searchlist, but then the
install would get noise from every earlier element. Not good, if
that's every new user's first handson experience with NetBSD.

Jason, what're you after? Making failure when looking for
netbsd.${MACHINE} be silent, as the `normal' post-install case?  Or
special bootblocks with a specail kernel searchpath for install CDs?