Subject: Re: filesystem code should not panic
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1999 14:13:39
On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:23:30PM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> > Aggred for user mounts but I want to keep the possibility for root mounts
> > to stop the machine when a FS goes bad. Keeping the machine running without an
> > important FS can have bad consequences (think mail servers ...).
>
> There are many situations in which continuing to run is a bad thing.

and I do agree with that, I just don't think this is one of those situations.
disk corruption on disk isn't something that a reboot persay will fix.
if we have the ability to disable a filesystem and continue running,
an operator could unmount the filesystem, copy it to different media,
run fsck, mount it again and keep going.  I've done this myself with
vxfs at work and it's really slick when it works.

-Chuck