Subject: Re: filesystem code should not panic
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1999 18:41:24
On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 06:07:26PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Aggred for user mounts but I want to keep the possibility for root
> > mounts
> > to stop the machine when a FS goes bad. Keeping the machine running
> > without an
> > important FS can have bad consequences (think mail servers ...).
>
> What if it's hardware fault, which won't go away after
> reboot ? If you keep the machine running, it can send all sorts

I hope it will not.

> of alert to anywhere its desirable and return temporary errors
> to e-mail originators -

If the home directory are just gone, it will not be temporary error.
.forward and .procmailrc files just won't be processes and this is bad.

> once you panic, your machine is not available
> at all anymore and it may take much longer to notice.

This is a situation where I prefer to have the machine down instead of running
is a degraded mode. It doesn't take very long to notice when important servers
are down anyway :)