Subject: Re: About softdep and pools.
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/1999 11:41:05
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:35:01 +0100 (MET)
 Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl> wrote:

 > I would just setup a private pool for exclusive use by the syncer,
 > with no hard limit and maybe a guaranteed minimum number of items
 > by priming it up front.

I don't like the pool_prime() interface so much.  I recall it having some
side effects (though it's been a while since I've been in that code so
I don't recall the specifics).

pool_setlowat() is better, I think, since it not only "primes" the pool
when you set the low water mark, but also automatically "re-primes" the
pool when the number of available items falls below the mark.

I use this feature for PV entries in the Alpha pmap, the idea being that
when you're desperate for memory, there's more likely to be some PV entries
just sitting in the pool.