Subject: Re: Proposal: CL* macros removal.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/1999 11:29:05
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:39:55 +0100 (MET)
 Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:

 > Well, there is actually no reason not to keep the CL* macros in sys/param.h
 > defined as
 >
 > #define CLSIZE 1
 > #define CLBYTES NBPG
 >
 > for compatibility reasons. Even if I doubt that there is almost anything
 > out there that have used the CL* macros for something useful the last
 > 10 years :-)

I think it's great the CL* is going to die a horrible, painful death...

However, NBPG should probably die, too.  MI code should be using PAGE_SIZE,
and PAGE_SIZE only.  (I will admit I'm guilty of not always following this
rule...)

There is one slight problem, however.  PAGE_SIZE is not a compile-time
constant.  It's a variable, so it can't be used to size static arrays
in e.g. the BSS segment...