Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/17/1999 17:26:40
soren@wheel.dk said:
> Should not all the ^com0 etc. entries in the kernel configuration
> files in fact be like 'com* at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4' instead? They
> need static locators, of course, but fixed unit numbers in GENERICs
> are usually just in the way.

Hmm - I can imagine cases where this would lead to an
unexpected numbering: Let's say someone has disabled the
first serial port in the BIOS and plugs in an add-on
board, jumpered to 3f8/4 instead. Then the mainboard's
second com port would be found first by the pnpbios, and
the ports would end up reversed.

I don't know whether this is worse than the pnpbios ports
as com2/3, and I don't care much anyway...

best regards
Matthias