Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: API for environmental sensors
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <eric.delcamp@legrand.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/16/1999 10:40:47
Hi !

One or things about the API (sorry, quoted by hand (thanks to Lotus Notes &
Outlook Express)) :

> typedef struct envsys_uint32_data {
[...]
> } envsys_temp_data_t, envsys_rpm_data_t;

> typedef struct envsys_int32_data {
[...]
> } envsys_electrical_data_t;

Why did you not join theses 2 structures by adding "units" to temperatures and
rpms ? This will simplify the API and a unit for temperature (Celsius. or
Faren.) is not stupid (only loose u_int in case of rpm). MicroKelvins are a
little weird for our application domain (but usefull for externals sensors).

> ENVSYS_FCURVALID  0x00000002
> ENVSYS_FMINVALID  0x00000004
> ENVSYS_FMAXVALID  0x00000008
> ENVSYS_FAVGVALID  0x00000016
If theses values are hexadecimal flags, it should be something like : 0x02,
0x04, 0x08, 0x10.

This API seems OK for me, but it ignore one major interrest of having sensors in
a computer : watchdog. Maybe we need an interface to set watchdog values and a
reaction mechanism to theses values (API 1.1 ?).

Thanks.

L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur Internet, la societe
ne peut etre tenue responsable de son contenu.
Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le detruire et
d'avertir l'expediteur.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
The society cannot therefore be considered responsible for the contents.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete
it and notify the sender.