Subject: Re: codeset recoding engine
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/1999 17:24:55
Matthias Drochner wrote:
> Well possible. The implication - codeset determined at mount time -
> is serious however. How can I do an "ls" (or use an X based
> directory viewer) over multiple directories, each mounted with another
> encoding?
> What happens if a CD contains multiple language versions
> of something? How is the per-mount encoding communicated to the

Arguably, CD containing filenames in more than one encoding should
never exist. Note that probably even MS Windows would not be able to
show the filenames correctly.
The code converts the characters which have no representation
in target codeset to ASCII code. So the file names are not correct,
but it works.

> userland utilities at all? I see lots of complications.

Yeah, there is awful lot of possible complications. This solution
is very simple to implement and use however and would please
users (and me :) while we would think about 100% correct solution.
Solving the file name thing correctly will mean quite a lot of work,
most probably for implications for all filesystems we support. I'm not
going to do that right now.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"It's IMPOSSIBLE to overcomment any code. It can only be undercommented."