Subject: Re: codeset recoding engine
To: None <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/1999 17:41:28
Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> |each and every program would have to load the whole translation
> |table. This would be significant for e.g. eucjp, whose translation
> |table Unicode --> eucjp is about 50KB.
>
> Can't this be shared in some sort of shared memeory region or such?
> Just like shared libraries.

This would be probably doable with some sort of black magic, but
it won't be very easy IMHO. Such as - if some very clever structure
of the translation table would be thought out, it could be possible
to mmap() the contents and access the memory as (sort of) array.
The only problem I can think of is that the the contents would need
to be byteswapped as appropriate, so that the file can be shared
between BE/LE systems.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"It's IMPOSSIBLE to overcomment any code. It can only be undercommented."