Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: API for environmental sensors
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/1999 01:16:18
> The following API is presented with the caveat that polling devices of
> this type is not a good idea.  The proper solution is use some form of
> "kernel events" mechanism.

Ah yes, another addition to the maze of twisty little ioctl's, all different,
that unix is slowly acquiring to compete with other OS's "manager" APIs.

(Not to single you guys out, but I do find it annoying that on unix we
pride ourselves on having a small syscall count, which is all hype and
bull because of the way ioctl() is packed tight with lots of little APIs.)

Any chance we can select() on the device node and read from it instead of
having to (blegh) poll it with ioctl's?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com