Subject: Re: Sleeping/non busy waiting for 10us in a driver?
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/1999 13:41:48
> I need to put a driver to sleep, or do a non-busy wait on it, with
> [...] a higher [re]selution than hz

I don't think this is possible, in general.

Think about it.  Short of a busywait, the only thing you can do is
going to be something driven off a hardware interrupt.  Where are you
going to get that interrupt?

Short of positing hardware which can be told "interrupt in 1us" (or
10us, or whatever), I don't see any way.  Some machines may have such
hardware; some architectures may even have it standard.  If you're
lucky enough to have it, you may be able to use it, but the result will
necessarily be at least somewhat MD.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca