Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: API for environmental sensors
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/09/1999 15:46:55
On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> On 09-Nov-99 Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > Can we join this together with SAF-TE (see http://www.safte.org) and SES
> > (ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/ses/ses-r08b.pdf) specifications so that
> > SCSI based environmental sensors are also part of this?
>
> I just took a quick look at the SES spec..  (that web site was unreachable)
>
> I guess I'm looking for more clarification on what part of the spec you would
> like to see supported..  "join together" is somewhat vauge.
>
> >From the SES spec..  I can say that including flags for the warning and
> critical points, that could be flagged invalid by the driver would not be
> unreasonable at all.. it woudln't take much space up either..
>
> Or were you looking for something much more complex?

To get right to the point...

What I'd like to see is the SES model adopted in it's entirety. Almost
everything else, SAF-TE as well, is a subset of what SES provides. I'd
like to see the same API for motherboard/DMF as well as SCSI/SES and
SCSI/SAF-TE.

Just off the top of your head, does this seem too wacky or is it
reasonable? I've had the stubs of an SES/SAF-TE driver for NetBSD for over
a year (unfinished...).

-matt