Subject: Re: pthreads in userland, signals, and itimer.
To: None <wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/1999 16:47:14
"Dr. Lex Wennmacher" <wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE> writes:

> What about the following idea: We enlarge the set of signals a
> process is free to use (by, say, SIGUSR3, ..., SIGUSR8) and we
> increase the number of itimers. And we implement a method to
> allocate (and free) signal/itimer pairs.
>
> This would give much more flexibility than your proposal.

I think this would be good too, but what do we do to get rid of
conflicting uses?

Also, the name cannot be *USR* since that seems like application space
to me, rather than library or system space.  People get upset when
SIGUSR1/2 are used in libraries already.

I think threads are basic enough that they really need their own
signals, if libc uses them.  For other things, I'd have no problem
adding a few more timers/signals to help this, but we need to address
the conflicting use problem first.

For now, I'd like to get SIGTHREAD and the timers in the kernel.  I'd
like to address the addition of other timers/signals as a separate
issue.

--Michael