Subject: Re: pthreads in userland, signals, and itimer.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/1999 11:07:28
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> >Ideally, if a program is multithreaded (using our pthreads, once we
> >have it) applications and other libraries will not be allowed to use
> >these timers/signals.
>
> If that's the goal, does it help to put them in the
> reserved-to-implementation namespace: _SIGTHREAD, _SIGTHREADV,
> _ITIMER_THREADV, _ITIMER_VIRTUAL?
>
> Then, if anyone beside netbsd library implementors uses them,
> its even more clearly their own fault :)

This is also a good idea.  I'll think on this.  I don't particularly
care WHICH thread package uses them (ptl2, mit-pthreads, or the
mit-derived "unproven-pthreads" (sorry for the pun) I'm hacking
together.)

I suppose making them implementation namespace won't preclude that,
since we still leave them open for people to see and use if they
really think they know what they're doing.

--Michael