Subject: Re: ffs & directory gids
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/1999 15:48:45
At 7:29 Uhr +0100 06.11.1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:

>I have never found the non grpid (sysv) behavior useful, on the
>other hand I have been annoyed many times by the fact that when
>mounting nfs from other systems, we effectively choose the sysv
>behavior, because our mkdir does not inherit the setgid flag from
>the parent directory.
>
>I'd say that if we are going to change things, we should change
>them in an incompatible way compared to the way things are right
>now, i.e. following all the major vendors.
>
>That would require us to change the default behavior to be the sysv one,
>requiring grpid to be set for the bsd behavior, and inheriting setgid
>on directories.
>
>I know that this is heretic POV, but it will help our interoperability
>with other OS's, hurting our compatibility with the current behavior.

OK, that's politics. How do the other BSDs see things?

And, technically: Why do _we_ want this SysV behaviour? Every three weeks,
some linux admin-wannabee bothers info-cvs with something like "I've got a
repository set up for group foo, and the created files sometimes are of
group baz".

We've had our cvs repository on a linux machine (till last week =8), and
the setgid crap was always a source of trouble that bit you when you least
thought of it.

My 0.02 EUR,

	hauke