Subject: Re: NetBSD + Ericsson I888 World phone
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/03/1999 13:56:15
>Some SIR-capable IRDa ports can be put in a mode (using the BIOS
>configuration utility) where they will do IrCOMM in hardware, making
>them at least marginally useful with NetBSD. I don't know if VAIOs
>will do that - I believe it is going out of fashion now that Windows
>does "real" IRDa.

I'm very surprised by this, because if you're doing IrCOMM then you're
doing IrLAP and IrLMP as well, which is a lot of code to stuff into
a BIOS.  What machines have this ability?  (And where the heck does
the code run to implement the protocol stack .... how could you do this
without OS support?).

--Ken