Subject: Re: scsipi hardware driver to midlayer: how to signal bus timeout?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@terra.oscs.montana.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/1999 14:33:31
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> I'm trying to debug the Amiga sbic.
>
> afaict, if a data phase was expected in a command, sbic fails to tell the
> upper layer that a scsi bus timeout occured (on select, for a target that
> is not there).
>
> What should sbic.c do to tell scsipi about this condition?

  It should return an XS_SELTIMEOUT error.

  However, it looks to be like the sbic driver does not do this now.
The only time it looks like it will return an error is when it's doing
polled I/O - which I don't think is used by the device probes any more.
I think it's calling sbicgo() to do the select, and when sbicselectbus()
returns with a select timeout, sbicgo() appears to assume it's trying to
select a busy bus and ignores the select (assuming it will be scheduled
again later).

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant