Subject: Re: "k"bytes or "K"bytes?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/27/1999 15:27:20
> I think that the people who mind ["disk manufacturer" megabytes vs
> binary megabytes] is a proper subset of the people who know the 1Mbit
> = 2^10 bits convention.

Oh, undoubtedly.  The latter set is too large for just about any
general statement about it to be true (except of course those that are
tautologies given the set's definition).

> I resent the tyranny of addressing lines over descriptons of data
> volume.

This is a very interesting point, and I'm not quite sure what I think
of it.  Thank you for bringing it up.

> ([...] how long it takes a network with an end-to-end goodput of 100
> Mbits/second to transmit 100 MBytes of data.  [...])

Yes...even geekdom is somewhat schizoid about which meanings the SI
prefixes get, and when.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca