Subject: Re: "buffer cache locking" meets "soft updates"
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@geocast.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/27/1999 02:05:55
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 12:32:41AM -0700, Ethan Solomita wrote:
> >       I've been trying to come up to speed with Soft Updates. The company I
> > work for is looking to use NetBSD, and we're hoping to be able to use
> > Soft Updates with it. If you don't know about it, the quicky summary:
> > Kirk McKusick is adding some sophistication to ffs which will eliminate
> > the need for nearly all synchronous meta-data writes, without switching
> > over to a log-based filesystem.
>
> There is a branch of the CVS repository for this, and Frank Van der Linden
> is actively working on it.

        My original email needs clarification: I'm not asking about the
Soft
Updates work; I'm asking about the issue of changing the buffer cache
locking mechanism to support upcoming changes in Soft Updates. I've been
exchanging email with FvdL regarding Soft Updates for a while, but he
suggested that I send email here about the buffer cache locking issues.
        -- Ethan