Subject: Re: `__attribute__ ((__aligned__))' has gotta go
To: None <>
From: Christos Zoulas <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/1999 20:17:27
In article <>,
Bill Sommerfeld <> wrote:
>The presence of __attribute__((__aligned__)) is probably partly my
>fault (lockwords on PA-RISC have to be 16-byte aligned; Jason seemed
>to think that this would be the Way To Go to make this happen).
>Deleting it for now is probably the best bet; we can probably find a
>less painful alternative should we ever port to an SMP HP7xx/8xx

I'll take partial blame for that too, because I suggested to use the
__aligned__. OTOH, it is really stupid of gcc to use aligned for a
data type, to mean the maximum page alignment of the machine. Anyway
the solution is what eeh suggested, move it to md code and use=
__attribute__((__aligned__(<n>))) as necessary.