Subject: Re: New submission: RFS
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/1999 14:22:02
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 wrote:

> Hello NetBSD,
> I have completed an i386 implementation and testing of an additional network
> protocol for file sharing.  Its based on IBM's PWSI datastream
> (Programmable Workstation Streams Interface).  Its known as RFS
> (remote file system), but has no relation to the RFS that was created
> in 1984 (by Bell Labs, if I remember correctly).  IBM uses this protocol
> in their Client Access/400 product, which provides "network drive" support
> to windows (3.1, 9x) and OS/2, (as well as MacOS and AIX).

> RFS is akin to NFS: it plugs in at the vnode layer.  One of the differences
> between that of NFS is that RFS is state-ful.  It maintains a socket
> connection between that client and the mounted host
> I've based the source on NetBSD 1.4 (current), and would like to submit
> it as content for 1.5 (or abouts).
> I was referred to this mailing list as to a place to start.  Can anybody
> direct me farther?

Probably the best thing to do is send in a change-request PR with the
patch in it.

Also, do you happen to have an inplimentation of the server? If IBM wants
to make $$ off fo the server (rather than supporting the server) I can
understand if you don't. :-) But that'd really help test the integration.

What kind of copyright is on the code? Does it contain an "advertising"

Take care,