Subject: Re: Unicode support in kernel
To: Noriyuki Soda <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/15/1999 11:55:12
Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> Since above scenario will be big impact pathname lookup operation,
> I agree that it is better to select shortterm solution like below:
> [1] add codeset mount option to msdosfs and cdromfs, but do not add
>   this to NTFS.
> [2] add user preferred codeset as system wide kernel option.

What I wanted to do was addind an option to transparently translate
Unicode pathnames (for Joliet CD-ROMs and NTFS) to user-defined
codeset. Not more, not less. So mount option (to make a chance to
switch under which codeset or encoding the pathnames should appear)
makes more sense to me than system wide setting.

> Again, do not add codeset option to NTFS, it's not right.
> User prefered codeset should not be mount option, and
> it should be able to be different from filesystem native codeset.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
"The only way how to get rid temptation is to yield to it." -- Oscar Wilde