Subject: Re: 802.1Q tagged VLAN for NetBSD
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/12/1999 15:50:35
On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:16:43AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
>  "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> wrote:
>
>  > Also once could do multipath routing, MAC address takeover etc.
>
> Don't forget that some *hardware* has capabilities such as VLAN filtering,
> etc.  (The AIC-6915 is one such MAC.)

Right.  Such hardware would presumably attach directly as an upper layer,
as would an intelligent sync serial card that did PPP on the hardware and
just delivered IP packets to the kernel (I have the datasheet for several
parts that can do this).

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"