Subject: Re: The demise of DEV_BSIZE
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/1999 11:07:29
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:

> Well, I think it wasn't Chris' suggestion to drop the two values from the
> upper level code, just from your d_bsize routine.  I.e. the caller of
> the d_bsize routine could evaluate the shift value on its own.  And since
> you're calling it only once per device (or so), this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I can tell, the driver itself also needs this value.  Especially
if we go with the disklabel sectors a PO2 of the device sectors idea cgd
mentioned. So it has already done the calculation. If we don't pass it up,
then the upper layer has to repeat a calculation just because of our
interface. :-)

Take care,

Bill