Subject: Re: SCSI network
To: Brett Lymn , der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/05/1999 10:59:44
On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 12:33:18PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> According to der Mouse:
> >
> >I'm contemplating using SCSI interfaces as a networking medium.
> >

> FWIW I will add my A$0.02 that this can be done.  We had a project at
> work that chained together a collection of MVME167 boards via their
> scsi ports.  The OS was an in house developed multiprocessor,
> multitasking message passing system which used the scsi bus as the
> processor interconnect.  Unfortunately, I did not have anything to do
> with the scsi hackery but the guys managed to get more than 8
> processors on the scsi bus - perhaps they used the LUN address as well.

Or they didn't do SCSI bus arbitration, but something else. If the mvme167
scsi port is low-enough-level programmable, this should be doable, but would
NOT help us.

Regards,
	-is

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of