Subject: Re: SCSI network
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/1999 23:33:12
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, der Mouse wrote:
>
> > I'm contemplating using SCSI interfaces as a networking medium.  Does
> > anyone have any thoughts on where I should look for (a) convincing a
> > machine that it should speak on other than ID 7 or (b) convincing a
> > machine to respond as if it were a drive, ie, to respond to another
> > device on the bus attempting to contact it?  If necessary I'm prepared
> > to make the link asymmetric, with one of the hosts distinctly in
> > control of what happens, though I'd prefer to avoid that.
>
> As others have mentioned, teaching the controller to not be ID 7 shouldn't
> be too hard. But teaching it to be a target is harder. :-)

FWIW, on the DECstation 2100 and 3100, the scsiid0 PROM variable
defaults to "6", and the driver used to switch the host to id 7 when it
configured the SCSI bus.  I changed that a while ago so that it honors
the scsiid0 variable and have played around with disks at SCSI id 7.
So, it certainly is possible for some machines to not use id 7 for the
host.  However, the DEC sii driver is hardly MI :-(

Simon.