Subject: Re: UBC status
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/1999 19:59:36
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:59:02AM -0700, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:
> <Silly idea mode>
>
> What if we always keep buffer-cache pages on the inactive list (unless
> dirty, I suppose).  If they are accessed, move them to the end of the
> list, but don't migrate them to the active list.  Then buffer cache pages
> would have a higher rate of re-use than other pages.
>
> </Silly idea mode>

a page being on the inactive list implies that it has no pmap mappings,
which isn't really want you want for cached regular file data.  or by
"buffer-cache pages" do you mean just metadata, which is all that will
be in the buffer cache in the post-UBC world?

furthermore, the inactive list wants to contain at most 1/3 of RAM,
but we'd like to allow using nearly all of RAM for cached file data
in the case where the demand for other types of pages is low.

-Chuck