Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/1999 09:43:12
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Leo Weppelman wrote:

> I share your concern. I don't have patches ready. After the amount of
> discussion popping up after my first suggestion, I decided that it was
> better to flesh things out first before starting to program. Looking back,
> I think this decision was the right one. After the wedges were thrown in,
> another bunch of things have changed. Currently, I have no idea where the
> majority of the people are standing.

Before you go to all that trouble here's something you might want to
consider.

I think it was mentioned that this bootblock discussion all came about
because you were trying to unify the bootblock handling code amongst all
the m68k ports so they could all share one libc.  It may be more
productive rather than to unify the bootblock code to come up with some
mechanism to separate the machine specific parts of libc into another
library that is selected at runtime depending on the particular machine
it's running on.  That has more general applicability and would allow
optimized versions of bcopy, floating point routines and emulation (for
with and without coprocessors), etc.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me