Subject: Re: renaming /boot to /boot_
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/1999 23:50:51
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> In message <871zbhi1rh.fsf@redmail.netbsd.org>,
> Chris G. Demetriou writes:
> >"approximately the same as for ffs."  it's the same directory
> >lookup/symlink handling goop in both.
>
> Directory lookup is needed regardless, and #ifdefing away symlink
> support sounds reasonable to me: dont use symlinks to 2nd-stage
> bootblocsk (installboot could check for that).

I think i meant "directory traversal."

> Is the problem that
> the Alpha LFS bootblock was already so close to the edge of the cliff,
> that looking into a /boot directory directory leaves it teetering on
> the edge?

with _no_ directory traversal, and no symlink handling, the alpha LFS
boot block is approximately:

-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    7616 Aug 14 17:22 bootxx_lfs

that's out of 7680 max.

Now add to it approximately the difference in sizes I posted in other
e-mail for adding directory traversal (with our without symlink
handling) and it should be obvious where you end up.

cgd