Subject: Re: renaming /boot to /boot_
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Greywolf <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/1999 22:14:31
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:
# In message <>,
# Chris G. Demetriou writes:
# >"approximately the same as for ffs."  it's the same directory
# >lookup/symlink handling goop in both.
# Directory lookup is needed regardless, and #ifdefing away symlink
# support sounds reasonable to me: dont use symlinks to 2nd-stage
# bootblocks (installboot could check for that).

Hey, can I ask another Real Stoopid [TM] question?

What's the point of symlinking bootblocks?  They're gonna have to
be on the same device anyway in order for the symlink to resolve
[i.e. the bootblocks know jack about where other devices will be
mounted!], why not just hard-link if you have to link at all?

NetBSD: Dave Barry is working on our motto.