Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/1999 11:30:44
>> I think the biggest lose with device majors and unit/partition
>> minors [] is that I can't see how to do recursive partitioning,

> Oh, we do the recursive, find all the partitions trick of the wedge
> proposal, we just only asign them to the 64 minors for that drive.

(a) I can't see how this will work without recreating all the problems
of the dense-minor schemes in slightly different dress and (b) it
limits you to a max of 63 partitions per drive.  (The latter seems like
infinity now, perhaps, but with drives pushing 100GB, I'm not at all
sure it'll stay that way.)

> Here's how I see recursive partitioning within the unit/partition
> minors:

> First off, the only parttiioning scheme right now which supports
> recursive partitioning that I know of is mbr (which needs it as mbr
> only supports 4 partitions!).

Oh.  Okay, I think we're talking about different things.

By "recursive partitioning" I mean that any partition can itself be
partitioned.

That's "any partition".  Not "any MBR partition".

The most immediate need for this is dealing with MBRs.  But installing
a solution that addresses only that need strikes me as extremely
short-sighted.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca