Subject: Re: renaming /boot to /boot_
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org, kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/1999 14:57:38
>   | Now, presuming we really go this way and have different names for each
>   | bootloader, how do we store a bootblock for each architecture on a single
>   | CDROM?

The NetBSD 1.4.1 CD disk #1 is an iso 9660 + RR + joliet disk and the same
disk is bootable on alpha, i386, sparc, and on some macppc systems.

Except for mkhybrid and cdrecord (which are in pkgsrc) *all* the code needed
to do this is in NetBSD-current right now. (And let me tell you, Sparc +
alpha together was fun, given that the 16-bit sparc xor checksum and 16-bit
sparc magic number overlayed the 64-bit alpha arithmetic checksum.)

The next one will add pmax, and maybe VAX. At this point I have covered
about all the platforms that have CD drives and documented boot sequences.

So, this is a solved problem. The 1.4.1 (and 1.4) CD's were mastered and
recorded completed on NetBSD. (And BTW, I don't have any inside information
on what NetBSD does with these disks, my part of the project is just
recording the masters. :-)

	ross.harvey@computer.org