Subject: NetBSD-1.4.1:/usr/src/sys/dev/pci/files.pci?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bernhard Riedel <bernhard@sdg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/1999 11:32:11
Hi folks!

While browsing through the 1.4.1 sources I stumbled across the file named
 in the subject line.

>#       $NetBSD: files.pci,v 1.54 1999/03/25 00:51:53 explorer Exp $
>#
># Config file and device description for machine-independent PCI code.
># Included by ports that need it.  Requires that the SCSI files be
># defined first.

First come declarations for device pci and many SCSI controllers.
Then several network controllers are declared.
After these (line 82) comes device ncr. (!)
After that one come many other defs, they seem unordered.

I also checked /usr/src/sys/conf/files. Order is about the same, but no
 comment about ordering requirements.

The same comment also appears in

  files.eisa    OK
  files.isa     broken, serial and parallel ports come before SCSI

If the comments in files.pci and files.isa are right:
  Why?
  What trouble could be caused by ignoring the requirement?
  Are there other requirements that override it for ncr etc.?

If the comments are wrong:
  Nice, that's even simpler to fix. ;)
  It's a pity, my "ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi" gives me many more troubles than
  under 1.3.1.

Cheers, Bernhard Riedel.