Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/1999 22:06:46
On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 03:38:17PM -0400, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> Uh, I feel I have to comment here...
>
> I *NEVER* proposed `[losing] the RB_ASKNAME functionality'.  If you
> read my original message on this subject, the following was fairly
> clear:
>
> Boot blocks already have to know about partitions, in order to find
> kernels.  The proposal was to move `the RB_ASKNAME functionality' from
> the kernel to the boot block.  Given this and wedges, the kernel would
> not need to know about partitions at all, thus completely eliminating
> a large pile of divergent code.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Seems that it was me who was confused
here; re-reading the thread again I see what you mean. I was thinking
of a scheme were only a very limited amount of information was stored
in the bootblock, which would have meant no RB_ASKNAME like mechanism
anymore, but would avoid any knowledge of partitions in the bootblock
as well. But it seems clear that this would be rather impopular.

- Frank