Subject: Re: UBC status
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/1999 15:56:49
> Either give a technical description or shut up but stop advertizing other
> operating systems on a technical NetBSD mailing list.

As a long-time NetBSD developer, I personally have no problem with
someone pointing out that a particular OS might be a good reference
for a NetBSD implementation, as long as it's done in a friendly and
constructive fashion (as this was, IMO).  Neil may not know enough
about the FreeBSD scheme to give a "technical description" (I don't
know him or his CV, personally, just his name), but the information
that he did give might be useful to some.  If the FreeBSD implementation
is better than NT, Solaris, and Linux, then it definitely bears
investigation.  Prior art can often be instructive.

Again, IMO, the whole tone of the message was constructive--there was
explanation of what behaviors he's seen on different systems and the
problems in each case--including FreeBSD.  It's not a technical
description, and there are no hard numbers, but it's still useful
information to have.  There's a big difference from what I saw and
"Xxx[x]BSD does XYZ far better than any other OS, free or otherwise,
in the world."  [ Which would, IMO, warrant your response ]

Besides, I expect that it's too late to "advertise" to most tech-kern
readers.  ;-)

Pax,
-allen