Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/1999 19:31:56
On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 08:44:56AM -0700, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:
> I don't like the idea of moving the partition reading code into the
> bootloader.

That code won't be in the bootloader. All that the bootloader would know
is some <device, start, end> combination, and pass it on to the kernel.
These values would be determined by installboot, for example, as is done
now on the i386 port to write information into the first stage on
where it can find the 2nd stage.

Aside from this, even if the code would be in the bootloader: there's
already FFS and LFS knowledge in libsa.. but anyway, this is not being
discussed here.

Yes, you would lose RB_ASKNAME functionality this way, this was already
mentioned in the original discussion. If many people rely on this
functionality (I'm not sure many people do, besides some developers),
we would need to include optional default wedge construction support
for some partitioning types (the "native" ones for the port) in
the kernel.

- Frank