Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/1999 00:17:06
> All the kernel needs to know is <device,start,end> for the root
> partition.

Yes.

> It would be trivial to add this to, for example, the i386 bootblocks
> for passing it along to the kernel.

Only if the root partition is the same as the boot partition - or if we
effectively migrate the "root device?" prompt into the bootloader,
which seems like a Bad Idea because it means that root can't be on a
device the bootloader can't see.

> I rather like the notion of having no knowledge of partitioning in
> the kernel whatsoever.

So do I.  But I can't see it as practical in all situations.

> The userspace handling doesn't need to be a "daemon" at all, I see
> very little reason for it to be a daemon.

The biggest reason I've seen is for it to automatically install
partition info for newly-inserted removable media and for new devices.
For new devices I don't think it's a big deal; having to wedgeconfig
after adding a device doesn't seem onerous to me.  For removable media
I see this as a relatively serious problem.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca