Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/1999 09:57:19
> All the kernel needs to know is <device,start,end> for the root
> partition.

As long as the disk knows how big it is, I don't even think you really
need the "end", especially for a read-only FFS partition..

> It would be trivial to add this to, for example, the i386 bootblocks
> for passing it along to the kernel. I rather like the notion of having
> no knowledge of partitioning in the kernel whatsoever. But I guess
> I couldn't object if people wanted to have some support optionally
> compiled in,

Umm, "don't let go with both hands at once"...

Given our upgrade/current-chasing strategy (build kernel; boot kernel;
build & install userland), you need it at least as a transition aid,
since wedgectl or whatever we're going to call it wouldn't necessarily
be built until the new kernel was running..

					- Bill