Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/1999 10:50:44
I don't see why it would be a problem if no wedges were configured in
single-user mode. You get what you always get: a read-only mounted
root device. In stead of directly doing 'mount' or 'fsck', you need
to do 'wedgeconfig -a' first. That doesn't seem a big problem.

If you want to have all initial wedges configured in single user
mode, you end up putting knowledge about all types of native
partitioning in the kernel, which is exactly the opposite of
one of the main points of the wedges proposal.

All the kernel needs to know is <device,start,end> for the root partition.
It would be trivial to add this to, for example, the i386 bootblocks
for passing it along to the kernel. I rather like the notion of having
no knowledge of partitioning in the kernel whatsoever. But I guess
I couldn't object if people wanted to have some support optionally
compiled in, although I'd rather not have it. It might be a good
transitional move.

The userspace handling doesn't need to be a "daemon" at all, I see
very little reason for it to be a daemon. I'm also not sure what
keeping the old *disklabel interface would gain you. It should
probably go into libcompat, but all tools should use the new
interface.

- Frank