Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: Johan Danielsson , Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/1999 15:46:24
On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 03:33:33PM +0200, Johan Danielsson wrote:
> Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de> writes:
>
> > darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au (Darren Reed) writes:
> > >And that depends on which `slot' your controller gets put in, but yes,
> > >point taken.  But what happens more often - changing controllers or
> > >changing devices ?
> >
> > I guess the answer to that is: it depends.
>
> I would say it's atleast on order of magnitude more common to add or
> remove disks than to add or remove controllers.
>
> Disks really *should* have unique ids.

No. File systems should have.

Otherwise, if you move a filesystem to a different disk, you've a problem.
(You don't care where a bunch of data are, as long as they're mounted to
the right mount point...)

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of