Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/1999 12:59:24
darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au (Darren Reed) writes:
>If NetBSD were to support long disk device names which were actually
>addresses to the device, it'd just mean it were possible to be even
>lazier in using NetBSD.  It would also require some extra magic - be
>it a special filesystem type or running a configure program at bootup.

I find it kinda amusing that noone has mentioned the "put in another
controller and suddenly /dev/dsk/c0tNdMsO becomes /dev/dsk/c1tNdMsO"
problem yet.  ISTR that the last time this carcass was beaten to pulp
that was the the argument that shot down the whole idea because you
have to wire down the controllers to the busses, which was decided to be
impractical for "generic" kernels.

It's all in the archives, of course.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)