Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: Oleg Polyanski <luke@eed.miee.ru>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 15:46:39
On 23 Sep 1999, Oleg Polyanski wrote:

# 	Consider my disk has name `sd0' (because it was detected first during
# 	the kernel booting). Later  I will add ZIP  drive and IT will get the
# 	name `sd0' and hard  disk will  become  `sd1'.  Bad  surprise, manual
# 	intervention required.  Something like `/dev/scsi/dsk/c0d0p0' as root
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	AAAUUUUGGGHHHHHHHH!   -------------------'

/me smacks head against brick wall

"Can't sleep, clowns will eat me....can't sleep, clowns will eat me..."

Are we going to continue dumbing down this thing, or what?  I agree
that we will need a /dev/disk or something similar directory, but
I do NOT think that we should go further down than that -- it's just too
cumbersome.  /dev/$BUSTYPE/$PERIPHTYPE/cXtXpX is just fscking
ludicrous.  Not to mention, hard to type repetitively (and I've
had to do that).

If you're worried about devices switching locations, WIRE DOWN YOUR
DAMNED DEVICES and be *done* with it.  [Profuse apologies here
for assuming that everyone uses source -- I'm sure that this is
a patent lie; nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that there
are that many people incapable of compiling a new kernel for reasons
of disk space.]

As far as the root device goes, using Ignatios' idea of mounting /kern and
referencing /kern/rootdev as a valid device makes a WHOLE lot of sense.
You'll at least be able to put yourself back together without too much
grief.

Should we (do we?) have a peripheral scanner which will configure
a kernel with wired down devices followed by the generic devices
and (optionally) attempt a rebuild?

If we don't, is someone already working on it?

If nobody's working on it, I'll be glad to take a stab at it...

# 	fs unique identifier will help.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side