Subject: Re: wscons problems on macppc, was -current on PowerBook G3/400
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 23:04:28
wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov said:
> > diff -r1.1.1.27 wskbd.c
> > 560c560
> > < #if NWSMUX > 0 || NWSDISPLAY > 0
> > ---
> > > #if NWSMUX > 0

That's a wsmux issue - this should be quite independent from
the virtual screen stuff.
(I've got some problems with wsmux too, but didn't have time
to understand how things are supposed to work.)

> I think the problem is that the wscons code kinda assumes that X will run
> on one of the ttyE's (typically ttyE4)

No, wscons doesn't assume this. At least on i386, X runs
with only the console screen (what you get with wscons
not enabled in /etc/rc.conf).

>         if (sc->nscreens > 0)
>                 return (ENOMEM);
>
> which seems to imply only one screen is ok. A comment below, "/* one and
> only for now */" corroberates that.

That's for simplicity of the display driver. X can take over the
one and only screen -- at least wscons allows it.

best regards
Matthias