Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: Oleg Polyanski <luke@eed.miee.ru>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 13:40:46
>  IS> Maybe I should add that for normal booting, root devices tend to not
>  IS> change their name all the time, so having the sysadmin edit fstab once
>  IS> at installation or reconfiguration time is good enough.
>
> 	Consider my disk has name `sd0' (because it was detected first during
> 	the kernel booting). Later  I will add ZIP  drive and IT will get the
> 	name `sd0' and hard  disk will  become  `sd1'.  Bad  surprise, manual
> 	intervention required.  Something like `/dev/scsi/dsk/c0d0p0' as root
> 	fs unique identifier will help.

Let me leap in here and say that disks should start to become known by
either their WWNs (World Wide Names (Fibre Channel)) or Serial Numbers (in
Vital Product Data). These are 'guaranteed' unique so that once you bind
to a specific disk via this mechanism, it's address du millisecond becomes
irrelevant.

That said, it's pretty clear that for a large class of drives (e..g, ZIP),
this won't be helpful.