Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Oleg Polyanski <luke@eed.miee.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 22:25:53

 G> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Frank van der Linden wrote: # # Now, what should be
 G> discussed (and has been) is a naming scheme # for device nodes. It's a
 G> good opportunity to get rid of # the mess that is wd/sd naming, 'c' or
 G> 'd' for the name of the # "raw" disk device, etc.

 G> I will agree with getting rid of 'c' or 'd', great.

 G> But what does discarding wd/sd buy us?

 G> Keeping it makes it easier to identify disks on disparate controllers.

	I'm not   sure that it  makes our   life easier.   Right  now we have
	floating disk naming scheme - disk detected first will get number `0'
	even  if it has, for example,  SCSI ID 5 so  when I  add another disk
	with SCSI ID number  2 (for example, I would  like to add  large /opt
	file system)   it becomes first (i.e.   sd0),  not the former `first'
	disk.  You  cannot mount root  fs without  editing your `/etc/fstab'.
	It's  weird.  Disk  naming   scheme must  depend on  device  physical
	properties  (SCSI  ID, master/slave or   something like that).  But I
	don't think that  Solaris naming  scheme is perfect  -  it depends in
	much degree on underlying hardware,  where each device or  controller
	maps to  the right slot that makes  the life of service engineer much
	easier   with UE6000,  for example;  if   you  will take  a  look  on
	Solaris/x86  you  will  see that naming  scheme  is   emulated  on PC
	hardware and that is why it looks so unnatural.

	Something like

	/dev/ata/{,r}dsk/
	/dev/scsi/{,r}dsk/

	probably would be better but..

	Another  solution  would   be  logical  volume   manager  that  would
	completely avoid the separation between  different devices but it's a
	huge work.