Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 11:48:51
>> Now, what should be discussed (and has been) is a naming scheme for
>> device nodes. It's a good opportunity to get rid of the mess that is
>> wd/sd naming, 'c' or 'd' for the name of the "raw" disk device, etc.

> I partially disagree here.

> That is, I would NOT like the sd/wd/fd/vnd/ccd/md naming to disappear

I'll AOL that. :-)

> Below that, I guess, something like /dev/sdNw00 - /dev/sdNw99 would
> be fine.

I'm not too happy about that.  But I thought the idea was that
wedgeconfig would be told what to call the partitions, so you could get
/dev/sd%d%c if you feel like it, or /dev/root, /dev/usr, etc, if you
prefer that - or even /dev/dsk/dkc0d2s4 (shudder) if that's what you
want.  As for what the interface would be and how it would be
implemented, those are open to discussion; I think I saw some ideas in
the collection of email that was put up on the web.

Real names for disks and/or partitions are a good part of that
discussion.  The biggest problem I see is designing a configuration
language for wedgeconfig that satisfies all these desires, all the way
from people who want partition names and /dev entries that are derived
(in part) from them, to people who want /dev/dsk/dkc1d6s2 naming, to
people who just want to stick with the "good old" /dev/sd4f style.

Oh - and implementing the whole thing, of course.  Which includes
dealing with all the booting issues. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca