Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1999 10:48:45
On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 10:29:02AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Now, what should be discussed (and has been) is a naming scheme
> for device nodes. It's a good opportunity to get rid of
> the mess that is wd/sd naming, 'c' or 'd' for the name of the
> "raw" disk device, etc.

I partially disagree here.

That is, I would NOT like the sd/wd/fd/vnd/ccd/md naming to disappear...
I agree with Greywolf here:

  Oh, please let's not go to the /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 graveyard.  "c0" tells
  me nothing.  I'd rather know the disk-level interface (sd &c.).

Below that, I guess, something like

/dev/sdNw00 - /dev/sdNw99 would be fine.

If we really need a virtual wedge device to implement them, err.. maybe
wedgeconfig can create them.

Hm. Or we should REALLY start to use the pack labels (or, where available
like on Amiga, the partition labels) to identify the disks (or partitions).

Regards,
	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of