Subject: Re: new disklabels - part2
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/1999 11:26:34
> How many partitions can we fit into the space of a standard
> disklabel?

According to the comments in <sys/disklabel.h>, 22 - which sounds about
right to me.

 * The absolute maximum number of disk partitions allowed.
 * This is the maximum value of MAXPARTITIONS for which 'struct disklabel'
 * is <= DEV_BSIZE bytes long.  If MAXPARTITIONS is greater than this, beware.
#define MAXMAXPARTITIONS        22

> Not to mention that I don't see a whole lot of use for many more than
> 16 partitions, as far as intent and purpose go, unless you're
> planning on hosting many dic^Hskless workstations and want each one
> to have its own separate space (which doesn't strike me as extremely
> practical...).

I don't see why it'd be impractical.  Indeed, in many cases it'd be my
preferred configuration.

					der Mouse