Subject: Re: Executing block devices
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/1999 11:53:44
On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 09:52:53PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 05:11:04PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > > What can you do with executable VREGs other than:
> > >
> > > newfs_$YOURFAVOURITEFILESYSTEM associatedrawdevice;
> > > mount /some/where blockdevice; cp binary /some/where;
> > > /some/where/binary; umount /some/where
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > I can "cp binary1 binary2 /some/where", and chose which to run, e.g.
>
> But there only fits one. And it only fits on the non-filesystemmed device.
> Whatever.
>
> Somebody asked, in response to "xxx | /dev/yyy > zzz",
> "what system on earth would allod you to execute a device?", and I
> investigated and found it was very little....

I shouldn't write after midnight, or before coffee.

Replace the above paragraph by:

Somebody asked, in response to "xxx | /dev/yyy > zzz",
"what system on earth would allow you to execute a device?", and I
investigated what prevents NetBSD to do this and found it was very little.

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of